Everyone wants to make their home uniquely their own, and one way to do that is by transforming the walls. While there are many options on the market, sometimes you want something more interesting than just a coat of paint. If you are considering giving your walls a makeover, shiplap may be exactly what you are looking for.
The Advantages of Shiplap Planks
Shiplap has many advantages that you should consider before simply painting over your old walls and calling it a day. A couple of the most significant can include:
- Easy Installation. Shiplap is typically designed to use a tongue and groove type of joint that makes for straightforward installation. In addition to that, peel and stick planks make the transformation even easier, as you can just line up the planks, stick and go! These self adhering wall planks are growing in popularity, and it isn’t hard to see why. They’re easy to install, and depending on the wall and room size, can take even less time than painting to put up! Overall this not only helps you save time, but it can save you money in the long run.
- Versatility. Adhesive ship lap also offers a degree of versatility that other options just can’t. You can install the boards either vertically or horizontally, both of which can add a striking contrast to a room or hallway. Regardless of which way you decide to install shiplap you can transform an entire room, or simply create an accent wall that is both eye catching and unique.
- Protection. Shiplap also helps to create both an air and watertight seal which can go a long way towards preserving your home from damage and energy loss; however, it also gives you more protection options. For instance, you can install additional insulation, vapor barriers, or felt paper underneath to create an even stronger protection barrier. As stated above, this can help you cut energy costs, and protect your home from water damage.
- A Natural Appearance. Because shiplap is created from real wood, or created to resemble real wood, it offers a natural rustic appearance that can drastically change your homes aesthetics. This is one reason many homeowners turn to shiplap, as it doesn’t look for feel artificial.
- Easy Repair and Upkeep. Walls can sometimes get damaged, it’s just a fact of life. Paint can get scuffed, peeled, or stained leaving you with no other option other than repainting the area all over again. With shiplap you can easily remove the damaged boards and installs new ones in their place. This process allows you to save time and money on repairs, as well as on upkeep. Shiplap doesn’t require much maintenance, and will continue to look amazing for years to come.
A Solid Investment
As adhesive shiplap grows in popularity, it has become easier than ever to completely change up the interior, or exterior of your home. It’s easy to install, and can be completed as a weekend DIY project, in addition to requiring little to no upkeep over the years. If damaged, it is easy to replace, without worrying about having to redo the entire area. Overall, shiplap is something you can feel good about investing in as a homeowner.