Updated 4/4/22

Every home needs proper window treatment. However, the process can be hectic as you need information and proper guidance. The availability of custom window treatment in the market should create the best avenue to utilize it. You, however, need an effective window treatment design depending on the materials. If you prefer blinds, ensure you settle for the best custom blind design.

As you prepare to buy window coverings for your home, research the options available in your market. This is vital as you get the right customized design for your home. The chances of making mistakes when buying blinds for new home are higher without guidance. By seeking guidance, avoiding common mistakes that might compromise your efforts is easy. Besides privacy, choosing the right window treatment improves your home’s appeal.

You should also be keen on the dealer you buy the window coverings from. It is easy to buy custom made window drapes or other products from a reputable dealer. Explore your market and seek guidance to find the best dealer to shop and work with. You should also be keen on the blinds made to order online to save time and resources. You should compare the prices in different stores and dealers before deciding on the window treatment that suits your home.


One of the most important decisions most consumers will make in their lifetime is where they want to spend the rest of their lives. While this does include the location of where they want to live, it also includes the house that they want to live in. The decision of what kind of house you want is layered with decisions that include the bathroom, the kitchen, the carpet, the television and also the windows. Here is what you need to know about window treatments.

Windows are not simple and can be quite complex. As an example, here are some terms you have probably never heard of: cellular shades, draperies, plantation shutters, and valences. This does not even include the basics that some people are aware of such as drapes, shades, and shutters.

During winter, draperies can help reduce heat loss from a room by up to 10%. On average, shutters can be expected to last up to 20 years. Studies have gathered information that medium-colored draperies that use white plastic backings can reduce heat gains by up to 33%. The Natural Resources Defense Council has released information that windows and doors both account for about one-third of the total thermal loss that leaks out of a house.

Adding a cellular shade can increase a window’s R-value from 3.5 (a standard window) to nearly 7. In 2016 31 million people in the United States stated that their household has bought blinds, drapes, and other window treatments within the past 12 months. According to the Attachments Energy Rating Council (AERC), window attachments can improve the performance of windows and save up to 13% of a household’s annual energy use.

The Attachments Energy Rating Council or AERC released information that revealed that cellular shades on a single pane window can save between $280 and $470 annually. Also, according to the AERC, roller shades on a single pane window can save up to $180 annually for homeowners. Roller shade fabric with a 5% rating will allow 5% of light in, blocking the other 95%. Blackout shades, on the other hand, have a 0% rating, blocking out all the light. Automated window treatments are becoming more and more common. According to a 2016 Houzz survey, 2% of newly renovated homes have “smart” blinds or curtains.

On average, homeowners will replace their window treatments every seven to eight years. Also, between 150 million and 225 million interior residential window coverings are shipped in the United States annually. The length of your drapes can have a major impact on the look and feel of a room. For a cleaner, more casual look, allow the drapes to just touch the floor. For a more dramatic effect, hang the drapes to that the fabric puddles on the floor, with four to six inches resting in luxurious folds.

In conlusion, when dealing with window treatments it is most times best to let the professionals handle the job. Do not allow for costly mistakes to hit you in the bank account because you are wasting money on energy bills. The general rule when installing shades is to add two to three inches to the overall width of the shade to allow room for mounting hardware.
Traditional shutters with one-inch louvers offer privacy but reduce the amount of that shines in. Plantation shutters have wider louvers, which provide better ventilation and a clearer, brighter view.


Leave a Reply